Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Butter Roasted Chicken with Rosemary and Sage

This recipe was adapted from one found on http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/. You can see pictures there. They don't look like they used a whole chicken, but pieces, which I would probably do the next time since I don't know how to carve and have it come out looking edible. But my bird was beautiful before I cut into it!

INGREDIENTS

5 lb whole chicken
1 lemon, halved
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse and pat chicken dry. Remove the giblets and place the halved lemon inside your bird. In a small bowl, mash the butter with all remaining ingredients. Gently loosen and lift the skin from the meat of the bird on the breast side. Use your fingers to rub the butter herb mixture into the flesh of the bird making sure to cover as much area as you can. Return the chicken skin to cover all of the exposed flesh. Roast for 17 minutes per pound. A 5 lb chicken will roast for about 1 hour 25 minutes. Let it rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes before carving. Serves 6.

Notes: Like I said, I would use pieces next time (skinless) and just rub the mixture all over them. Of course, it also wouldn't have to cook for as long. I also didn't use all of those fresh herbs because I never know what to do with the tons I have left over. I just kind of guestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment