Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chees-Its

I just made Aimee Krey's version of Chees-Its at http://food-of-love-mmm.blogspot.com/. It was basically the same recipe I made last week, but with a few much-needed differences. Her's was much easier to work with, I used my new food processer (SO nice!), and I left out the cayenne pepper which had made mine way too spicy. I also made mine round so Kales would not expect them to be like Goldfish crackers (didn't work).

 
INGREDIENTS
1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
 8 oz. cheddar cheese (you could use a pepper jack cheese, parmesan, or colby jack, etc.)
4 tbsp cold butter
3/4 tsp sea salt
 1/4 tsp paprika 
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (Optional)
Cold water

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, or you can do it by hand with a pastry blender. Mix until crumbly. Add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture forms into a dough (I ended up using 4T). Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour or 20 minutes in the freezer. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll each out to about 1/8 inch on a floured surface. Cut into little squares with a sharp knife or dough cutter. (I made mine round with the lid to a spice jar.) Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Poke a little hole in the center of each cracker (a chopstick works well). Sprinkle crackers with a little salt and bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are browning and centers are puffed. Watch carefully so you don't cross that fine line between golden and burnt. Remove from baking sheet to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment